We provide a nurturing environment that encourages the physical and spiritual growth of women and children.
How We Help
Jessie’s Place offers a new 11-12 week group recovery process called Active Recovery which helps women overcome various barriers stemming from substance use disorders. This clinically-based process assists women in removing barriers that prevent them from developing healthy, safe, and bright futures. Group work is supported by individualized, Christ-centered, evidence-based counseling from a professionally trained staff.
In conjunction with Active Recovery, our Stewart Learning Center continues to provide training by highly skilled specialists to assist in preparing women to enter the workforce. Through adult education, GED preparation, and job readiness training, we aim to not only stabilize, but to empower women, ensuring a healthy start to their a life.
After completing the program, graduates will be given the opportunity to enroll in our Continuum of Care which provides ongoing support services as they secure employment and transition into a meaningful life of their own design.
All of these services are offered for FREE to those in need.
For His glory, we work to help transform people broken by the cycles of addiction, abuse, and poverty into strong, purposeful leaders whose rekindled dreams will define a new path to a greater and more fulfilling future.
What is Active Recovery?
Active Recovery teaches clients to battle unhealthy compulsions, develop a future story, and make value-based decisions. This program treats both substance abuse and poverty by leading people beyond rescue and into personal fulfillment.
Active Recovery focuses on six core principles:
• Understanding Addiction: learning how the brain equates drug use with survival and chains us to our habits.
• Motivation: achieving long-term change through intrinsic motivation.
• Life Plan: developing a genuine, personal plan for physical, spiritual, mental, vocational and social health supported by routines.
• Values: learning how to differentiate universal and practical values and use them as a tool to direct our actions.
• Decisions: revealing one’s true self through decisions directed by values, not emotions.
• Emotional Maturity: identifying unhealthy perceptions and recognizing barriers to healthier emotions.
2305 5th Avenue North
Birmingham, AL 35203
Jessie's Place is a part of the Downtown Jimmie Hale Mission, Inc., Jessie's Place is a part of Downtown Jimmie Hale Mission, Inc., a Christian-based, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, which includes a homeless shelter for men, a shelter for women and children and recovery programs - each with learning centers. This charity is often misspelled Jimmy Hale Mission.